A Midwesterner's Four Months Across the Pond

A Midwesterner's Four Months Across the Pond

Friday, June 3, 2011

The Goodbye

It doesn't seem that long ago that I wrote my hello, and now here I am at the goodbye. To be honest, I should be sleeping instead of writing (especially after consuming my last taste of Tesco Choice Medium Sweet Red wine at my German friend's leaving party) but my mild state of OCD cannot leave the recording of my Europe adventures incomplete. I need closure.

I'm so excited to go home. I really am. But tonight I walked along the streets of London and realized just how much this city has given me. I'm going to miss it.

Things I have Learned while Studying Abroad:
1) Walk fast and for God's sake get out of the way.
2) The German derogatory term for the British is 'cliff-pissers'
3) The German word for 'cheers' is 'post.'
4) 'Post' is British mail.
5) Post is expensive to send from Britain to America.
6) Sometimes avoiding eye contact is the only way.
7) Not everyone hates America. Just the majority. And even then they hate America the country not necessarily the individual American (as demonstrated by the fact that I did make non-American friends here)
8) Americans really are loud.
9) Public transportation is amazing.
10) I can go exactly 4 days before a shower becomes compulsorily.
11) I can get by on a lot less that I originally thought.
12) I am a total pub girl.
13) (ooh my favourite number!) I can feel at home just about anywhere, but there are some places that never leave us.

I've been watching a lot of "How I Met your Mother"which is why there is one word that springs to mind immediately when I try to describe my time here:
Legendary.

Love, love, luv,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment