A Midwesterner's Four Months Across the Pond

A Midwesterner's Four Months Across the Pond

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Miss Interpretation

As much as I dislike playing the role of "the innocent one" in the group, I have to admit last night I definitely deserved to wear the Naive Nebraskan sash.

I had two classes yesterday, Creative Writing and Place and Publishing Creative Writing. I actually bonded with British people, and I was unbelievably pumped.. The cherry on the cake was when my new friend Nat invited me to come out to Soho and hit up some bars. Fully convinced Nat would be friends with the charming British man destined to be my true love, I got ready and rounded up the gang (aka Kait, Meghan, Nikki, and Mike -- pay attention to these names as they are going to be main characters in my London adventures) for a trip to Leicester Square.

In hindsight, I should have put together that Nat would be taking us to a girl bar. Everyone else knew as soon as they saw her. But alas, clueless little me thought she was just a cool Londoner with really short hair and piercings and a tomboy look. Oops.

As flattering as it is to have someone interested in oneself, I hope next time the person will be male.

Other than that little mishap, things have been going splendidly. My tutors (professors) all seem really nice so far, and the classes seem like they will be super interesting. Yesterday I had a two hour gap between my classes, so I wandered in the 50 degree sunshine until I found a little Italian Deli where I ate soup I can't pronounce the name of and sipped a cup of coffee while I people watched out the window. I also succeeded in finding the school library, but am embarrassed to admit I reinforced the stereotype of the loud American and was shushed for talking too loudly in the quiet study area. Actually, the more I think about it, the less I think it's a stereotype. We as Americans are seriously louder than the rest of the world. Except for at the pub during a rugby match. Or when the live band plays "Don't Stop Believing" at closing time (No joke! I don't feel far from home at all!)

And I heard someone say "phwoar" in real life. Excellent.

XOXO
S


1 comment:

  1. Love the Don't stop Believing part...and when u got hit on by a girl haha Priceless! It will make for some good stories if anything! Love you Miss Sarah!

    ReplyDelete